Uncovering the Historic Lower East Side
Discover the neighborhood that transformed America
For over two centuries, the Lower East Side has been home to waves of newly-arrived immigrants, creating a cauldron of cultures and innovation. But the historic district is quickly disappearing. In fact, the National Trust of Historic Preservation named the Lower East Side one of the most endangered places in the nation.
On this tour, we’ll explore the streets of the Lower East Side, uncovering remnants of its past hidden in plain sight. You’ll learn how the immigrants lived, worked and worshipped and hear tales of the neighborhood’s colorful denizens and discover how its cultures and conflicts shaped modern America.
Check back for new dates.
A recent review on TripAdvisor for our Lower East Side Tour:
“My partner and I did the Lower East Side tour with Jeff Dobbins. He was witty, informative and informed. He is clearly an experienced guide who knows both how to keep a group together and how to keep the interesting information flowing. Great tour and well worth it!.”
Get ready to…
- Explore the neighborhood’s teeming German, Jewish, Latino, and Asian enclaves.
- See historic synagogues and storefront Buddhist temples.
- Discover remnants from the area’s colonial past.
- Explore the district’s culinary legacy, from pushcarts to pickles. Find where you can still nosh on traditional favorites.
- Visit New York’s original Garment District — the birthplace of America’s labor movement.
- Learn about the local boys who created Hollywood.
- Enter the tenements and discover the harrowing living conditions within.
- Hear about the notorious gangs and gangsters of the Jewish Mafia
Walking Tour: 2 hours (we will send you the meeting place when you sign up)
Virtual Tour: 90 minutes including Q & A (we will send you a Zoom link)
Person – Walking Tour: $40.00 / Virtual Tour: $20.00
Private Tours Available!
We offer live virtual experiences that make a fun socially distanced event for your family, organization, or group of friends. We also offer in-person private walking tours for small groups.
Click to learn more
Tour guide Jeff Dobbins