Gay Bars That Are Gone: Virtual + Video Tour
Visit the historic gay bars of New York … virtually!
From discos and dive bars to piano bars and cabarets, this live virtual tour looks at the shifting typology of the gay bar in New York City. Long the center of cultural evolutions and political activism, gay bars are critical locations to understand queer history in America. You’ll bar hop through stories of community, protest, artistic achievement, and plain old intrigue.
All this, in the name of sparking a conversation about how to properly preserve and celebrate New York City’s “lavender landmarks” during one of the hardest times for nightlife venues in recent memory.
And everyone is encouraged to join in this exploration of NYC history, so pour yourself a drink and come ready to share stories of your favorite gay bars that are gone.
Our next dates are December 14th and January 13th (EST).
Your hosts for this live online tour are Kyle Supley & Michael Ryan, creators of “Gay Bars That Are Gone,” an annual walk through downtown NYC honoring LGBTQ spaces of yesteryear. The annual walk has been featured in The New York Times, The Advocate, and Paper Magazine. Follow @gaybarsthataregone.
Get ready to remember…
- Walt Whitman’s favorite “gay bar” from 1859
- A 1980s three-level gay disco with a plantarium dome dance floor
- A 1925 lesbian tearoom where men were “admitted but not welcome”
- Starlite Lounge – previously one of the oldest Black-owned gay bars in New York City
- The 1950s East Village drag club whose patrons included Judy Garland and Elizabeth Taylor
- Ramrod – the site of a little known anti-gay massacre along the Hudson River
- Bum Bum Bar – a working class Latina lesbian bar and important site of queer Queens activism
- An after-hours club where yet another police raid ended in violence just months after the Stonewall uprising
90 minutes (including Q&A at the end of the tour)
Please note: This is a live online tour. We will send you a Zoom link.
Person – $20
(Ages 16 and up)
Please contact us to set up a private tour!